Saturday, July 24, 2010

Top 10 NFL Hall of Fame Running Backs

Aren't Top 10 lists fun?  I like them because everyone's list is different.  If you follow sports, you have a Top 10 List of your own, probably several Top 10 lists.  This particular list is so much fun because it's a list of great running backs - the most exciting guys on the field - those who touch the ball more than anyone other than the Quarterback and the Center.  Because of that, the great ones become household names that younger backs have to live up to for all time.

The "modern era" of the Pro Football Hall of Fame consists of 27 running backs (halfbacks & fullbacks).  Many of those players are so old and have been retired for so long (and in some cases have already passed away), that many younger football fans have not heard of them, and that's really too bad.  Most of the names on the list, however, are very well known.  You'll find names like Doak Walker (SMU) and Paul Hornung (Notre Dame - Go Irish!), and everyone knows Frank Gifford from Monday Night Football.  But, like I said, so many of those names are of players that even I had to look up.  With that said, my Top 10 list of NFL Hall of Fame running backs is filled with "household" names and greatness.

1.  Walter Payton
2.  Barry Sanders
3.  Emmitt Smith
4.  Earl Campbell
5.  Jim Brown
6.  Tony Dorsett
7.  Eric Dickerson
8.  Marcus Allen
9.  Gale Sayers
10.Thurman Thomas

Players who were edged out of my Top 10 List were:  O.J. Simpson, Larry Czonka, Franco Harris, and John Riggins.  Czonka played on the famous Dolphins undefeated team.  Harris is known for "The Immaculate Reception".  John Riggins was a total bruiser (and too bad he was a Redskin).  And O.J. . . . .

You tell me - where did I go wrong with my list?  Who should be there and who shouldn't be?  Any arguments on who's number 1?  If so, provide feedback on my blog and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment